Adoption in Hampton Roads, Virginia
by Linda Michie, Executive Director and Founder at Wishing Well Adoption & Family Services
After a child has been legally placed in your home for the purpose of adoption, the placement will be supervised by a licensed child-placing agent.
What does that mean?
Your adoption agent will visit you a minimum of three times over a period of three to six months
(to be determined by the agent).
What will they be doing there?
They will gather information concerning you, your home, your family, and the child in order to make a recommendation to the judge about finalizing the adoption.
What exactly are they looking for?
- Current health of the child
- Current development of the child
- The child’s adjustment to the family
- The relationship of the child to the parents
- The child’s adjustment to daycare or school
- Any special needs are being met
- The impact of the placement on the family
- Any changes since the home study
- The family’s motivation and readiness to finalize the adoption
- The family is informed about finalization
- The family has information about available resources
You can help the process go smoothly by having the reports ready from your latest pediatrician and dentist visits, and any notes or report cards from daycare, pre-school, or school, as well as the current height, weight, and any diagnoses and medications for your child.
These visits are an excellent opportunity to ask questions, get advice, and talk about difficulties and solutions.
There is no need to appear as though things are perfect or that you know all of the answers.
Your agent is there to help you figure things out.
The agent will then write a Report of Visitation with this information and a recommendation to the judge concerning their opinion about making the adoption final. In most cases, the judge will sign the order without a hearing and you will receive a letter stating the outcome.
Wishing Well offers free consultations to Virginia families who are considering beginning the adoption process. Just call Linda at (757) 739-2118, or email: email@example.com.
Linda has worked in the child welfare field since 1999 and is a Licensed Child Placing Agent.
Wishing Well assists in domestic adoptions in the state of Virginia, and provides parenting coaching, and supervised visitation in Virginia Beach, VA.
Latest posts by Linda Michie (see all)
- …More on Home Assessments, Custody Investigations, and Home Studies - February 1, 2019
- Supervised Visitation Details - December 10, 2018
- The Problem of Overpraising - September 6, 2018